'I arrived at Summer Lodge in 2004, and prior to this I was at Cliveden, and have also had the great privilege of having Gerard Basset of the Hotel du Vin Group as my mentor.
My parents have always been in the restaurant business in Alsace in France, and food service, whilst interesting, did not excite me as much as I would have liked, and so I started to dabble in the wine service aspect and soon uncovered my passion.
My assistant and I are well placed both in terms of experience and wine resources at our disposal, to suggest the perfect accompaniment to your delicious meal. We regularly take part in competitions to stay on top of trends throughout the world and our wines have won many awards because of its balance and diversity.'
Eric Zwiebel's awards and accolades
- Ranked 4th place in the 'Best Sommelier in the World' competition in Tokyo in April 2013
- Summer Lodge awarded with a 'Best of Award of Excellence' for 2012 by Wine Spectator, for one of the most outstanding restaurant wine lists in the world
- Ranked 2nd place in the 'Best Sommelier of Europe' competition in 2008
- Runner-up in the Ruinart 'Best Sommelier of the World' Competition in 2007
- Won 'Best Sommelier in the World' competition in the French semi-finals in 2007
- Ranked 3rd place in the 'Best Sommelier of Europe' competition in 2006
- Ranked UK 'Sommelier of the Year' in 2004.
- In 2004 Eric was named Ruinart’s UK Sommelier of the Year, and as past winners are ineligible for further competition, he now acts as a judge. In 2007 and 2013 he was listed among the world’s four most accomplished practitioners in the 'Best Sommelier of the World' competition.