We follow the seasons and source our food from local, ethical, sustainable and environmentally positive suppliers. Many of our producers and suppliers voluntarily work to their own high standards without accreditation and most of them are ecologically certified with one or more of the following organisations: LEAF Marque (Linking Environment and Farming); Rainforest Alliance; Soil Association; Fairtrade Foundation; Marine Stewardship Council;Organic Framers and Growers; RSPCA Freedom Food.
We do not serve fish from the MSC’s list of 'fish to avoid'. Many of our suppliers take their packaging back. Where especially requested, we pay smaller suppliers within seven days and everyone else within 30 days. We act honestly, do not engage in bribery or corruption, encourage responsible business practices and encourage our suppliers to adopt this code through their own supply chain.
WE is a family of organizations making doing good, doable. WE is made up of WE Charity, empowering domestic and international change. A social enterprise that creates socially conscious products and experiences to help directly benefit their local communities and the world, their teams in Asia, Africa, and Latin America have provided more than 1 million people with clean water, built 1,000 schools and schoolrooms overseas, and empowered more than 200,000 children with access to education.
In our hotel, we sell ethically sourced ME to WE chocolate bars which benefit cacao farmers and help WE Village communities – supporting education, health and food programming.
We are now in partnership with Julia’s House, a local children’s hospice in Dorset, raising money for the families of terminally ill children.
Our slippers and soaps are recycled via a local design workshop, The BootMakers Workshop, is a child friendly café offering activities with recycled materials.
All tea in the rooms has now changed to Clipper tea, which is a local tea company in the village of Beaminster, just six miles away. The selection ranges from fruit, to traditional with a constantly expanding product range.
During the winter months we use Rampisham firewood Services, a local company with an estate just one mile away from Summer Lodge, committed to woodland and habitat improvement through their managed forestry and conservation schemes.
Our English wine, is made at the family run vineyards in the Dorset countryside. Just 11 miles from our doorstep.
We have created close relationships with colleges in Yeovil, Dorchester and Bournemouth, accommodating students on work experience and an ongoing apprenticeship in the kitchen. Plans are in place to extend these apprenticeships to other departments of the hotel.
We supply ‘Nature and My’ new bamboo toothbrushes, which are made from 100% ethically sourced bamboo, presented in biodegradable packaging and the brushes are fully recyclable after use.
Red Carnation Hotels makes it an on-going priority to support and contribute positively to Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital.
The Starlight Children's Foundation is a special organisation that Red Carnation Hotels whole-heartedly supports.
As members of Hospitality Action, which raises alcohol and drug awareness, we work closely with them to draft our own policy in the staff handbook. Training is provided to help recognise these problems and reduce their impact on a person, their colleagues, the hotel, their families and the community.
Too good to waste’ initiative, which we offer to our guests to take doggy bags home with them. This reduces food waste; the packaging is from the London bio packaging company, which uses recycled materials.
Red Carnation Hotels is proud to use Belu Water throughout their hotels. Belu is the UK’s most eco-friendly bottled water brand and works closely with the charity WaterAid.
Our list of local suppliers includes:
- 0 miles - We make some of our own preserves, pickles and chutneys using over 20 varieties of fruit and 17 varieties of vegetables from our own garden. These include hedgerow berries, wild garlic, crab apples, beetroot and surplus vegetables from the kitchen garden as well as sloe for gin!
- 0 miles - Evershot Bakery provides granary bread and toasting bread. We make all the other breads ourselves, some using only organic products
- 2 miles - Primrose's Kitchen for naturopathic Muesli
- 8 miles - Clipper Teas of Beaminster supply us with our Fair Trade and mostly organic tea
- 8 miles - The Vickery family farm for free range eggs
- 11 miles - North Perrott Fruit Farm for our delicious apple juice
- 11 miles - English sparkling wine is made on our doorstep at Furleigh Estate
- 12 miles - Hunts food service supplies our free range chickens
- 12 miles - Jams and preserves are made by The Forest Products of Bridport
- 12 miles - Black Cow Vodka. The world's only vodka made from milk.
- 14 miles - The sparkling fresh fish and shellfish comes from Samways of Bridport
- 14 miles - Dorset Cereals has created a variety of Muesli just for us
- 15 miles - The delicious bacon comes from the famous Denhay Farm near Honiton
- 19 miles - Longman Cheese of Yeovil for the 27 cheeses on our award-winning trolley. With the exception of the Stilton, all these cheeses are from the South West. The Longmans also supply us with our milk and cream
- 23 miles - Complete Meats traditional Devon butchers of Axminster for our lamb, pork and beef
- 25 miles - A variety of meats from the Fine Food Company in Wincanton
- 26 miles - La Chasse for salad leaves, Exmoor venison and locally cured meats
- 45 miles - Even our gins are supplied locally from Conker gins Dorset
- 45 miles - A.David for our fruit and vegetables
- 72 miles - Kingfisher Brixham in neighbouring Devon also supplies us with lots of wonderful seafood.