Stuck for starter ideas? Executive Chef Steven Titman has shared his special wild garlic soup recipe. Wild garlic is currently in season and can be sourced locally.
If you enjoyed making this recipe, don't forget to share your pictures with us on Instagram, tagging @Summer_Lodge.
Serves 4 to 6 people.
- 1 white onion
- 1 leek
- 4 sticks celery
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 large potato
- 1 litre vegetable stock (or light chicken stock)
- 300g wild garlic leaves
- 30g butter
- 500ml cream
- 4 tbsp Crème Fraîche
- Roughly chop the onion, celery, leek, mushrooms and 3 cloves of garlic and cook slowly in a pan with the butter.
- When they are soft and translucent, add the stock and bring to the boil. Cut the potato into 6 or 8 pieces and add to the pan, then add the cream.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Then, place in a blender and mix on high speed until smooth.
- Fill another pan with water and add 4 more garlic cloves and bring to the boil.
- Quickly cook the wild garlic leaves for a couple of minutes (don’t forget to add some salt to the water).
- Remove the leaves and cool in ice water then blend until smooth.
- Bring the soup base to a boil and then just before serving, stir in the garlic puree (this will help keep the soup a nice bright green colour).
- Season with salt and pepper and Crème Fraîche to taste.