"I arrived at Summer Lodge in 2004, and prior to this I was at Cliveden, and have also had the great privilege of having Gerard Basset, of the Hotel du Vin Group as my mentor.
My parents have always been in the restaurant business in Alsace in France, and food service, whilst interesting, did not excite me as much as I would have liked, and so I started to dabble in the wine service aspect, and I quickly realised that this was the right way to go.
Our wine list takes some beating. My assistant and I are well placed, both in terms of experience and wine resources at our disposal, to suggest the perfect accompaniment to your delicious meal. We regularly take part in competitions to stay abreast of trends throughout the world and our list has won many awards because of its balance and diversity.
I look forward to taking you on a most delicious tour! Eric Zweibel
Eric Zwiebel's Awards and Accolades
- 4th place in the 'Best Sommelier in the World' competition in Tokyo in April 2013
- 'Wine Spectator' has again awarded Summer Lodge with a 'Best of Award of Excellence' for 2012, stating that the hotel has one of the most outstanding restaurant wine lists in the world
- 2nd place in the 'Best Sommelier of Europe' competition, 2008
- Runner-up in the Ruinart 'Best Sommelier of the World' Competition, 2007
- Winner of the French semi-final for the 'Best Sommelier in the World' competition and France's only representative at the finals in 2007
- 3rd place in the 'Best Sommelier of Europe' competition in 2006
- UK 'Sommelier of the Year' 2004. Eric has both vast experience and a stunning list of achievements in the arcane arts of the glass. In 2004 he was named Ruinart’s UK Sommelier of the Year, and as past winners are ineligible for further competition, he now acts as a judge. In 2007 and 2013 he was listed among the world’s four most accomplished practitioners in the Best Sommelier of The World Competition.