We follow the seasons and source our food from local, ethical, sustainable and environmentally positive suppliers. Many of our producers and suppliers voluntarily work to their own high standards without accreditation and most of them are ecologically certified with one or more of the following organisations: LEAF Marque (Linking Environment and Farming); Rainforest Alliance; Soil Association; Fairtrade Foundation; Marine Stewardship Council;Organic Framers and Growers; RSPCA Freedom Food.
We do not serve fish from the MSC’s list of 'fish to avoid'. Many of our suppliers take their packaging back. Where especially requested, we pay smaller suppliers within seven days and everyone else within 30 days. We act honestly, do not engage in bribery or corruption, encourage responsible business practices and encourage our suppliers to adopt this code through their own supply chain.
Our list of local suppliers includes:
- 0 miles - We make some of our own preserves, pickles and chutneys using over 20 varieties of fruit and 17 varieties of vegetables from our own garden. These include hedgerow berries, wild garlic, crab apples, beetroot and surplus vegetables from the kitchen garden as well as sloe for gin!
- 0 miles - Evershot Bakery provides granary bread and toasting bread. We make all the other breads ourselves, some using only organic products
- 2 miles - Primrose's Kitchen for naturopathic Muesli
- 8 miles - Clipper Teas of Beaminster supply us with our Fair Trade and mostly organic tea
- 8 miles - The Vickery family farm for free range eggs
- 11 miles - North Perrott Fruit Farm for our delicious apple juice
- 11 miles - English sparkling wine is made on our doorstep at Furleigh Estate
- 12 miles - Jams and preserves are made by The Bay Tree Food Company of Bridport
- 12 miles - Black Cow Vodka. The world's only vodka made from milk.
- 14 miles - The sparkling fresh fish and shellfish comes from Samways of Bridport
- 14 miles - Dorset Cereals has created a variety of Muesli just for us
- 15 miles - The delicious bacon comes from the famous Denhay Farm near Honiton
- 19 miles - Longman Cheese of Yeovil for the 27 cheeses on our award-winning trolley. With the exception of the Stilton, all these cheeses are from the South West. The Longmans also supply us with our milk and cream
- 23 miles - Complete Meats traditional Devon butchers of Axminster for our lamb, pork and beef
- 25 miles - A variety of meats from the Fine Food Company in Wincanton
- 26 miles - La Chasse for salad leaves, Exmoor venison and locally cured meats
- 45 miles - A.David for our fruit and vegetables
- 72 miles - Kingfisher Brixham in neighbouring Devon also supplies us with lots of wonderful seafood.